Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Herbal Wormers for Goats?

As any of you who've been reading my homestead diary posts can probably tell, I have been in a quandary over worming for a while now; yes, no, chemical, natural? My brain has been tied in knots over this. I've decided to follow my gut, and try herbal first. I'm learning how to make a flotation solution and do my own fecal exams. My solution is in the works now, and I hope my microscope has the capability it needs for me to see what might be lurking. I've ordered the herbal wormers from Molly's Herbals. I've heard good and bad things about these, so I'm unsure what I'll discover. I only know that I want organic, and organic I won't have with a chemical wormer. I also don't want to throw out milk because there are chemicals in it. That would be very discouraging for me. So, I'll keep you posted, and as always, feel free to add your two cents (or more!) so that I can learn from your experience.
I hope you're all having a beautiful week! :)

5 comments:

  1. Heehee, this is what I love about real people blogging about real lives, just when you think you will check in for an update on goat's milk you get fecal floats! That made me laugh since I haven't even thought of those words since I worked at the vet many moons ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks, Judy! You rock, Nurse Judy! ;)

    Haha! Yep, I laugh at myself sometimes over what I decide to post on this blog, but it is, after all, my real life (though sometimes it's hard for me to believe). I wanted to be a vet when I was a kid. I think I got all the best parts of the job right here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be waiting anxiously to find out what your results are, so please share them.

    Seems you are just a little ahead of us with your goats, our doe will not be ready to breed until May next yr...Though you did remind me I need to check when they are due to be wormed again.

    I am now a follower and look forward to sharing your journey with you.

    Blessings Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsie- I will surely keep posting about the goats, and the results with the wormer. Keep in mind though that (though I'm really new at this) it seems to me so far that the parasite control problems are very different between northern MN and FL. I think there are a greater abundance of both internal and external parasites in the south. If you look on my blog down at the bottom on the right side there's a button for Norwegian Dwarf Dairy Goats. There is a lot of good information there, and many more southern goat owners than northern who are active on the site. Best wishes! :)

    ReplyDelete