Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Easy and Delicious Gluten and Dairy Free Tomato Soup

Here's one of the new recipes that I've been working on. The original recipe really looked awful to me when I read it. This is probably the first time I've seen a recipe and thought, "That looks terrible, but I want to try it." Strange. I have to mess with every recipe I find, so again, this is really quite my own now. This soup is made in a blender, and then transferred to a sauce pan for gently heating until hot. It is NOT cooked, has no gluten or dairy, and still turns out creamy and delicious!
Blender Tomato Soup
Blend in the blender until creamy:
1c. of chicken stock (or water, or try your own thing!)
1c. raw unsalted cashews
1 medium onion
Add:
1 to 2 (or however much you'll like) more liquid of your choice*
fresh or dried oregano to taste**
1/2 t salt (or to taste)
fresh or dried basil to taste***
2 T oil
1 T honey
6 oz tomato paste
1 qt canned or about 5 medium ripe tomatoes****
Whiz in blender to incorporate all the ingredients. Heat in saucepan until hot, but do not boil. Enjoy!
*When I made this, I used chicken broth, and added a can of great northern beans with the liquid. You could add the beans to the blender and blend them up, or add them to the sauce pan at the end. I added them at the end.
**I used dried, about 1/4 t. (I dislike oregano)
***I used fresh, about 6 large leaves (I love basil)
****I used fresh (as in grocery store produce) tomatoes. I par boiled them so I could easily squish them out of their skins, then squished them right into the blender.
This soup tastes just like summer. I'm sure that if you give it a try, you'll appreciate not only the rich flavors, but the ease as well. I'm definitely keeping this one in the book! I hope you enjoy it! I'll try to add photos to this post later. I always forget to take them while I'm actually cooking!
Please stay tuned! I think I've got some great stuff coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment