Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Monday, August 9, 2010

Garden Discription

A few people have asked me about my garden space, so here's the info for you, humble as it is. :)
My new garden space is about 10 x 40 ft. The one next to it that I'm using is about 5 x 30, so it's a huge improvement!
I also have a new bed near the house that's about 5 x 10. It has the squash planted in it this year, along with one unproductive tomato plant. That's all I could manage because I've been digging that one out with a shovel and removing all the matted grass roots and the rocks and loosening all the dirt for about 18 inches down, then adding rabbit manure. I basically got all of the edges done, and then dug 4 deep holes that I put compost in the bottom of for the squash. Next spring that will be ready for something special, but I haven't decided exactly what yet. An herb garden near the house? A strawberry bed? Hmm... The following picture is what it looks like now. So, next year I hope to be gardening in about 650 square feet. I'm immagining all the possibilities now!



Today I pruned the tomato and squash plants. Does anyone else find it hard to change gears like that? Just a month ago we were all rooting for our plants to grow, and now we're cutting it away? It always gives me a strange feeling to be cutting them back, but hopefully that will make the difference between tons of marble sized tomatoes and a few big, ripe ones. And maybe a squash or two? I'm still holding out hope! :)

By the way, thanks to everyone who reads and comments on this blog. It has really helped me to keep going on all these projects that I feel are important in so many ways. I immagine some built in accountability from telling others what I'm doing and what my plans are. Don't you find yourself more likely to follow through on something if you've told others about it?

2 comments:

  1. Patty, that's exactly how I feel about blogging! Especially with hubby deployed, it helps the time fly by, after all, I have to "keep up" with everyone else even when I don't much feel like it! I love reading about your homestead and it is fun to watch things change through time. That is going to be a nice large garden next year! But you & Mama Pea scare me with the thought of all the digging through rock I'm going to have to do when I finally get up there LOL! Good thing my boys will be teenagers then :)

    And yes, this time of year I always think a machete would make a great garden tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin-
    I'm glad you're going to have the boys to help you. Now, don't we sound like pioneers! "When ya gonna have a boy to help on the farm?" :) My kids are helpful off and on. If I ask them to, they do, but I forget to get them involved as much as I should.
    It is a lot of work to garden up here, but there are advantages to being here too. Like the people! I was so impressed by the people I met when we moved here. I felt like they really took me in and made me feel like this was "home". I can't imagine being anywhere else now!

    ReplyDelete