Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Monday, May 9, 2011

A Wonderful Day

I love Mother's Day! I'm just sayin'... I love being a mother every day, but there is something about Mother's Day. On that special day, I feel so thankful to be Mother to my four treasures. It's fun to have our picture taken together. Pictures really speak to me, so having those pictures to look at is very special.
I have an old family picture taped to the edge of my dresser by my bed. When I wake up I almost always see that picture. In it, my oldest is but seven years old and my youngest less than a year. In so many ways it seems like just yesterday! It reminds me that time marches on and stops for no person. That really inspires me to pray that God meets me in this place where I am, perhaps already feeling weak and overwhelmed by the magnitude of that day stretching before me with its endless number of tasks. It seems to me that those first few moments of focusing on the Lord really gives me direction for the day. I feel inspired and ready to begin.
I'm going to put these new photos next to that old one. It's nice to see how far we've all come, too!
The other reason I like Mother's Day is that it does something to my children. They try to be so good and sweet! It seems to me that on that day I get to see the fruit of my labor of love in their lives. All those things I've repeated over and over that seemed like they were going in one ear and out the other; I can see they're in there somewhere!
When my sister in law was raising her children she had a "manners meal" once a week. The kids had to clean up and dress up for dinner. They had to set the table fancy with all the forks in the right place. They used their best manners...no elbows on the table, chewing with their mouths closed, saying please and thank you...Mother's day is kind of like that for me. I see my kids at their best. Now that's worth seeing! :)


We took a hike yesterday after a late lunch at Sven's. This is overlooking town from Sweetheart's bluff.



my honey and me


my little treasures

3 comments:

  1. love your pictures of the family, and it looks like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! I'm pretty big on manners with my kids, always hounding them LOL, they will thank me one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish more parents thought that teaching good manners was an important job! You sure do have a beautiful family, Patty. Thanks for sharing your day with us all.

    ReplyDelete