Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats

This past weekend, after the conference, we went to Heidi's Mini Acres to see her goats and ask questions. We decided that we will probably be getting 2 bred does early this winter. These are some of the Jr. Does she has now that will be ready for breeding in the fall/winter (photos "stolen" from her site). They would kid sometime next March or April, I believe.













Aren't they sweet? We saw her MANY kids, born this month. They are the cutest little babies! They're usually around 2 lbs. but one sweet little runt was only half a lb!
I'm really looking forward to this experience. I've got a lot to do so we can welcome them home with style this winter. I've got a bunch of clearing to do for the fence, and posts to pound in (hopefully by my self). Dan will help me stretch the fence after I'm ready. I've also got 2 pens inside the barn, a hay rack and a milking stand to help build. And hay, feed and minerals to find and purchase. Also hoof trimmers and dis budding iron, and probably a plethora of other things that I haven't thought of yet. If I keep going, I'll be overwhelmed again. I keep telling myself, "One step at a time!" After 5 years of debating the pros and cons of goat ownership, it's really about time! I can't wait for that wonderful, all natural, organic, fresh milk to be mine! Yogurt, cheese, kefir, here I come!! ...I think.
Right now, our little homestead is rich in one thing...EGGS! They're coming out our ears...or at least our fridge! I could use an idea for something really delicious, rich and absolutely sinnful to make that would use a LOT of these eggs! I think this weekend I'm going to try my hand at my first home made angel food cake. Not exactly rich and sinnful (more like angelic), but something I've been wanting to try for a while. Maybe the rich and delicious suggestions should use the yolks. I'll have a dozen of them to find use for after making the cake, I think.

2 comments:

  1. You could probably make a custard...they use a lot of eggs right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right. I'll have to look into that one, but I don't know if that's my idea of decadent! Maybe...IF it's chocolate! :)

    ReplyDelete