Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Wonderful Sunday

Today was a beautiful day! We really packed a lot of "rest" into it! Rest meaning a fun break from doing what's required to do something we think is relaxing and enjoyable.
We started out with some great coffee and quiet time together this morning. I love mornings that start off slow with no particular plan. The morning was beautiful, so after my coffee I went outside with Molly to say hi to the chickens. The black rooster was already busy waking the world with his squeaky crow. That crowing has earned him his new name - Squeak. I spent some time hauling brush, cinder blocks and other odd junk from the designated goat area, then returned to the house to read about fencing with woven wire horse fence. That's what we purchased for the goat fence. I'm hoping that it will hold up despite the fact that I've heard and read so much about what escape artists goats are. It's 5 feet high with 12.5 gauge wire with 2"x 4" rectangles. I'm spacing the posts approximately 8 feet apart instead of the recommended 10. I hope this will prevent the goats destroying it.
I really wanted to get out in my kayak for the first time this spring, so our family and my brother, sister in law and new niece met for a little campfire and picnic. It was so great to get out on the water again! I feel so close to God and so full of His peace when I'm on the water. It's such a nice place to view His creation and enjoy all His handiwork. I only saw one bald eagle while I was on the water today. We also saw an otter, and on the drive home, 18 grouse. Two of them were males with their tails spread and their necks all puffed up. So beautiful! Dan and Molly are happy to see so many grouse this spring, and hoping that means a plentiful season this fall. It was also wonderful to see my brother and his family for a while today.
Oh! One other thing we saw were some VERY large tracks on the road, from either a cougar or wolf. I wish I could post a photo for every one's opinions as to which it was, but the camera steadfastly refused to work today even though it worked perfectly yesterday - fickle gadget! I spent some time online looking at the difference, but I'm still unsure of what we saw. They were about as large as Dan's hand. Whatever it was, the tracks weren't there when Dan rode his bike past the spot. They were there when he returned a couple minutes later, and they were running tracks. The stride was as wide as I could step, and my legs are quite long. Whatever it was, it was BIG. It was only on the road for about 20 yards, and then bounded off again. I think that Dan scared it. He was probably only seconds in front of or behind it. Kind of freaky if you ask me!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me like the tracks were from the cougar (cougars?) that has/have frequently been sighted in your neck of the woods! Wouldn't it have been great if Dan could have seen it? Well, maybe not since he was on his bike!

    ReplyDelete