Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Friday, July 2, 2010

The Ants Go Marching...

This is my plum tree. These are the ants that seem to be invading it. They're racing up and down with great purpose. I think my tree might be in trouble...






This is what's happening to the leaves. They seem to be curling up. I can't see anything in the curled leaves. Some of them are turning brown. I'm not sure what's happening.


This is especially irritating to me because this seemed like it was going to be our first year having plums. They're already about half the size they were by October of last year, and already have more color.

I don't know how to get rid of the ants, or for sure if they're causing damage to the tree, or if it is going to damage the plums...Another thing to research!

Update: I was wrong. Inside the curled leaves were aphids that appear to be just hatching. Not that that helps me. I know nothing about the buggers, or how to deal with them. Or what needs getting rid of. Aphids, ants, both?

2 comments:

  1. Just the aphids! Ants are only the symptom of a problem, they won't "eat" your tree. They show up if the tree is diseased and sap is running, or in your case, they are there for the aphids. They don't eat the aphids, they are feasting on the "honeydew" substance that the aphids excrete. So, if you get rid of the aphids, the ants will go elsewhere. Neem oil spray works well, many people have to regularly spray their fruit trees with it to ensure a decent harvest. It's better than having a tree with disease, at least you can get rid of the aphids! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's good news! I'll get on that as soon as I can. Thanks, Erin!

    ReplyDelete