Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Friday, July 30, 2010

Chicken Update II

The chickens seemed quite happy this morning. The hens were busy fighting over their favorite nest box, piling into it in 2's and 3's. It's funny to watch them in their "motherly" nesting mood. They almost seem broody as they sit to lay their eggs. I observed them while sitting, and they certainly don't seem to be bothered by mites or lice of any kind.
I made a permanent door in the fence to let the chickens out to free range. It's patterned after the doors and latches we created for the rabbit hutches.


Here's the new door closed.


Here's the door opened.


It is held opened by the same latches that hold it shut. Here's Molly trying to show the chickens the new door. It took quite a while to convince a few of them that it was safe to go through that hole.


The happy chickens free ranging to their heart's content. As long as that's NOT the gardens or potted plants!

I have so many things I want to post about! I have a series of photos of our crazy border collie/lab, Katie that I want to share.
I also want to take you on a virtual tour of the barn.
I have another recipe and a meal to show you.
I want to share some sweet things my twelve year old has been up to.

So, stay tuned for more!

2 comments:

  1. Blogger has been off lately, I saw this post on my reader but when I clicked on it the other day, I got "no page found"! Love the chickens, but I have to ask what's with the chicken in the first pic? Looks like he's wearing combat boots LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's our rooster. He's a dark brahma bantam. They're a feather footed breed. He's been just an awesome rooster. He takes good care of the hens, but he's gentle and sweet.

    ReplyDelete