Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Carrob (or chocolate) Chip Cookies

I made these cookies a few days ago. The word cookie, some may find misleading. They're not a typical desert. They're more of a breakfast bar, or a filling snack. They're lower in fat and sugar than most cookies. They're soft and dense rather than chewy or crispy. Dan and I really enjoy things like this, and I feel good about offering them to the kids when they're hungry between meals.


Here's the recipe:


mix well

1/2 c. oil*

1/2 c. honey

2 eggs

1 t. vanilla


mix in a separate bowl

2 1/3 c. whole wheat flour**

2 t. baking powder

1 t. salt

1 c. chopped nuts

3/4 c. carob chips or chocolate chips

***


Bake @ 350 for about 10 minutes


* When I made these last time, I doubled the batch and used 1/2 c. oil and 1 banana. You can use all or part pumpkin or apple sauce in place of the oil as well. They all work out very well to cut back on fats, and they taste great.

** You can use part white if you want to, or part oat flour, or measure scantly and add wheat germ or flax seed meal, almost anything works.

*** I added raw sunflower seeds to the mix as well.


By the way, if anyone has any good suggestions on how to use up raw sunflower seeds (or roasted, for that matter, since I can do that too) please let me know. I bought 50 lbs. of them about a year ago, shared with friends, and still have a 2/3 full five gallon bucket in the freezer (as well as a bucket of wheat germ). I admit I went a bit over board. Now I put them in and on everything! I'll show you the freezer, since I just cleaned and organized it.

Ummm...yep, "BAD" turkey waiting at the bottom. Since I watched Food, Inc, it may be waiting a L-O-N-G time. And ace hardware buckets...really food safe there...but any way, there ya have it!

4 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention that this batch makes 3 dozen smallish cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 lbs??? LOL! I may try this recipe! I have one my hubby calls breakfast bars since they have soy flour, wheat germ, oatmeal and anything else healthy I can fit in, but then I throw in gobs of dark chocolate so they are still cookies to me! You know, I went through a phase where I felt bad about the meat that was in my freezer when I first started changing our meat source, but after reading 'Compassionate Carnivore' I also understood that it is wrong for an animal to die in vain, that coupled with my distaste for wasting money let us enjoy the remainder of our "bad meat" by thanking the animal and promising it we will do better for them in the future, LOL, and ate the rest! Don't feel too badly, we all have to start somewhere, and you are already way ahead of the average consumer because you are educated and motivated! Hmmm, all that typing and I still have no idea on those sunflower seeds LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you make homemade granola? Sunflower seeds are always good thrown in that. Or how about gorp or trail mix or whatever you call it? Leave a little dish of them out for the kiddlies to snack on . . . or the big kiddlies for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mama Pea! Yep, I do make granola, or did for a while and just started again. That is a great way to use the raw sunflower seeds, since they get roasted in the granola. I'd stopped for a while bc it seemed to use so much oil, and when I tried to use less the family didn't think it was so great. I've decided I'm just going to use the oil. It's still better than purchased breakfast cereal, and you can use the granola for so many things!
    I think you're right about the CSA's, according to what I've heard from some of the ppl who are in it this year.
    I definitely saw right away that I was hardly going to make a dent in the amount of produce we go through this year. I really hope that somehow next year we can improve on the amount of garden space we have. It's just such darn hard work claiming it from the lawn! That grass thinks it owns the world! :)

    ReplyDelete