Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Monday, July 19, 2010

The Wild Harvest

First, I've put the recipe for the raspberry vinaigrette in the previous post, so don't miss that if you want it.

Molly and Sam got the opportunity to go blueberry picking with some dear friends of ours over the weekend. They brought home over 11 cups of berries! I must say I was surprised that they managed to pick so many. I guess they're growing up. We used 2 cups for buttermilk pancakes. I used the applesauce pancake recipe that's posted in this blog, but replaced the applesauce with canned pumpkin since we were out of applesauce. It was fine with the switch. I also used fresh sweet cream buttermilk from Lake View Natural Dairy. Yummy! The recipe really makes a LOT of pancakes, so unless you'd like a ton left over, you may want to half it if you decide to try it. Our family of 6 can eat a LOT of pancakes and still have plenty left over.

I didn't get a picture of the kids with their berries, but I did get one of the family's harvest yesterday. They picked 7 cups of june berries and some mushrooms (bolete's and chanterelle's) and cut some chamomile flowers for drying. We dry the mushrooms and use them in stir fry's, soups and whatever through the year. They're fantastic, especially the chanterelle's. They have a delicious nutty, naturally salty flavor. Mmm!

2 comments:

  1. I have got to get my behind in gear and get some blueberries! If you are already getting them, that means I'm late LOL! Can't wait to make muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, wonderful looking harvest. And yummy looking pancakes! Great experience for the kiddlies . . . to take them on these foraging expeditions!

    ReplyDelete