Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Food, Inc.

OK, all I can say is that I watched Food, Inc. a few nights ago. I've had blogger's block ever since. I SO want to say something about the topic of the food we eat, but it just turns into this wild crazy rant, so I can't. But I can show you all what we ate for supper after I watched the film!



I was pretty disgusted with the thought of eating anything, so I thought of the least processed, most home grown and raised things I could, and we ended up with this fried rice.

organic brown rice, organic quinoa, home grown onions and pea pods, home raised eggs

It was delish, and even the kids liked it!

At this point, I'm done, because it's either that or rant insanely...

Thankfully, I believe there's a God in heaven who's eventually going to make sense of all this. Until then, God help us to live in a way that respects His creation and sustains this earth and the life on it.

Genesis 1:26 - 31

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[b] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” 29 And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. 30 Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food”; and it was so. 31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good.

I've been contemplating what God's idea was compared to what we've done.

OK, I ranted just a bit...;)

4 comments:

  1. Goodness Patty, What is Food Inc.? I think I probably better not watch it. -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sis! Food, Inc. is a documentary type film creaated by an investigative feporter and an author who wanted to take a close look at what happens to our food before it hits the gricery store shelves. It is a HUGE eye opener. It does change you outlook on so many things! You can find it on YouTube. You can also find a news clip called The Truth About Food, Inc. from CBS News. It's nice to hear from you here! Hugs to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to worry about ranting, you are pretty much preaching to the choir probably with your readers! I think Food, Inc should be required watching for every person! I know what you mean about being scared to eat! It's so good that we are doing what we can for our own families, it will get better every year as we learn more! If you haven't yet, check the library (or buy it - it's worth every penny!) and get a copy of The Compassionate Carnivore by Catherine Friend. She writes about our meat consumption and choosing for our families in a very realistic manner, it's very readable, we read it aloud as a family every night, even the kids as young as they are "got it", and can tell the difference between a humane farm and a feedlot and now they know why I think it's important they always come with me to do our pickups! They always remember to "thank" the animal their food comes from, too. Great read! (The author is from southeastern MN right by my hometown!) MamaPea was able to get together and meet her last fall, I am sure she can sing the praises of her book as well. She has another about starting a homestead/farm from scratch that is an amusing learning curve type book on the subject! Anyways, instead of leaving you feeling horrible and guilty about your food, you will learn good choices and leave the book feeling hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, thanks for the info. I'll look into those books. It's so hard to take just one step at a time, not feel overwhelmed, and choose WHAT steps to take in what order. I think these blogs are so cool! We all get to learn from and be encouraged by each other!

    ReplyDelete