Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Jumping the Gun

I'm sorry if any of you read that last post and went to any effort to provide me with any answers. Please dis-regard that for now. I'm back to not knowing if anything is wrong or not. I just spent another half hour with the chickens. This time I was looking (with a magnifying glass) for any eggs on feather shafts, mites or fleas. I didn't see anything at all except a few grains of sand here and there and some ordinary chicken dander. Nothing else. Thank the Lord for that! So, maybe I just caught them when they were all in the mood for a good scratch? Heavens, I don't know...
I didn't know it yet last night, but Molly had already put a feeder with laying mash in the coop yesterday. We also just let them all out for a while to free range. Boy are they happy chickens! We are now on chicken shepherd duty, to keep them out of the garden! I sure wish we could teach Katie to do that job! Actually, we probably could, but she's much too busy with the squirrels to be bothered with actual work. :) If anything changes, I'll be sure to let you know!

4 comments:

  1. LOL! don't panic..."THIS IS JUST A DRILL"... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe! No kidding! But, it's nice to get answers anyway, just in case. It could still be Northern Fowl Mites. If there are no mites in the chicken house when I go out tonight with a flashlight, then we're safe. Pray there aren't, since I don't want any insecticides anywhere near them if I can help it. But, if we do, I'll roll with it somehow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just getting to my computer now after a busy day. I've been thinking about you and your chickens on and off since last night.

    Ya know, the more I think about it I'm betting they're just plain bored and that is causing them to look for trouble . . . in the form of pecking on each other. You said they seemed pretty darn happy when you let them out of their run today. Why bother pecking on another chicken when you have all that luscious grass, weeds, bugs, etc. 'Course, the biggest chore is keeping them out of the garden and other spots you'd rather not have torn up. If it ain't one thing . . . :o) Keep us informed, Patty! We'll all give any help we can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mama Pea. I'm pretty sure you're right about them being bored. I peeked in on them in the nest boxes today. They seem content. They sure don't seem like there are Northern Fowl Mites eating on them.

    ReplyDelete