Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Counting Blessings #125 - 137

125) smoky, roasted tomatoes

126) coffee with clover/basswood honey and goat milk - I have a newly discovered love for both the clover/basswood honey I get at our co-op and our sweet goats milk. In fact, don't tell on me, but I sometimes steal a spoonful of honey and eat it by itself. YUMMY!

127) fresh squeezed apple cider - Some good friends gave us a taste yesterday. Oh, my. Tastes like autumn in a glass.

128) littlest daughter's sparkle

129) three weeks of school finished - This time of year is so delightful in the respect that I spend much more time interacting with my children. It's wonderful to spend time snuggled up on the couch together.

130) real snuggling weather

131) count down on the garden - It's nice when there's more stored away than there is left to process.

132) Swiss chard - It's the most amazing stuff! It's sweeter now that there's been frost, and it's greener and healthier than ever. It was one of the first crops to be eaten this spring and is still being eaten fresh.

133) ripe apples off the tree

134) Dani's hawk (story coming soon)

135) This Recipe for grape juice concentrate, also found in the Simply in Season cookbook.

136) Speaking of the Simply in Season cookbook, that's one thing I'm thankful for this week. I just got it a couple of days ago, and I love the way it's organized. It's not just a cookbook, but also a book full of ponderings about every aspect of food. I love how I can search by ingredient and find something to cook or a way to preserve that ingredient. For instance, if you were inundated with turnips, what would you cook? Or chard, or cabbage, what could you do with a mountain of that? This book has helped me answer these questions this week.

137) my husband's organizational skills

4 comments:

  1. You have ripe apples already?? Well, durn. Ours still have a ways to go. We keep taste testing, but . . . yowser, they are still NOT ripe, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Pea-
    Don't have apple envy. I wouldn't want to risk complaining on my "thankful" post, but even though I'm hugely thankful for the apples we do have, they aren't anything I'd have chosen. The tree was here when we purchased the property. It didn't grow any apples for a long time, but finally, after pruning it and hoping, it produced one apple. :) Finally it took off and now this year we got two bushels off of it.
    They're very hard, not juicy, and not really very flavorful. Since I don't know what kind they are or when to pick them I just let them get a bit of frost and then consider them "ripe". We had frost three nights in a row, and then picked them.
    So, in short, I'm not positive they're perfectly ripe, but they never get any better than they are now. They have a slight sweetness to them, no tartness at all...just sort of blah. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for a visit from Jerry's brother this week even if the visit has its own implication.Jerry and I discussed this morning that we just have to tell that that boy he is not going anywhere fast so he will just have to drive up here again in a year to see him. I am also thankful you guys got a little rain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have apple envy for sure, they don't even grow down here LOL!

    ReplyDelete