Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Unique Doula Role and Experience

I haven't rally written about my doula experienced on this blog much, and decided I wanted to introduce you to that part of my life today. On Tuesday AM I got to play a unique role for me doing a very different type of doula work. It was a GREAT experience!
I was asked if I would be interested in attending a home birth in order to help the family's two daughters be a part of their new sibling's birth. Wow! Would I EVER! I have long wanted to attend a home birth, and I was thrilled to be asked to be a part of this one. It was by far the most low key, peaceful birth ever. The midwives were fantastic at their job; very knowledgeable and had a peaceful, supportive presence.
My little charges were a delight! Their parents did a super job of preparing them for the labor and delivery. They each had some special jobs they wanted to do and were able to be kept occupied with them when needed. They weren't frightened by the birth process, and were thrilled when baby arrived. Four year old daughter got to tell everyone the sex of baby. :)
I dearly hope that I get to experience more home births in the future.
I know this post is short on details, and there's oh, so much more I would love to say, but this is a small community and I want to allow the families I serve their privacy. That's one reason I don't blog about this too often. It is nice to share with you all this part of my life though! :)

8 comments:

  1. My goodness,you are just all talent,I don't know if I could be that brave.are you a nurse by design.I could see how than you could do this but that at my daughters last birth the doctor never made it in time any way so more or less it was momma .baby and her nurse that did all the work.I am so proud of you---:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful experience! I imagine you felt very honored indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful experience but wonderful part you played in helping the family in a very special way. To have someone like you "taking charge" of the two little girls must have meant the world to the mom and dad and the midwives! I get shivers thinking about it. :o}

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sooooo awesome! What an amazing experience. I really like that the kids were prepared for what was to happen...and that the 4 year old got to announce the gender of her sibling. You're doing fabulous things, and helping families. Nothing better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly a blessing for everyone. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy- Nope, I'm not a nurse, nor medically trained in any way. When I do any type of doula work, I'm there to support the family (this could be physical, emotional, spiritual, and/or educational, but not medical) before, during and after the birth.

    APG- Honored is exactly the word for what I feel at each birth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic opportunity! With both of mine emergency c-sections with complications where I wasn't able to even be really conscious, imagine how ecstatic I was when my best friend called me in the middle of the night with her husband deployed to the Middle East and said "it was time" and asked if I would drive her and stay for the delivery! Sorry for the husband, but his loss was my gain and I secretly was glad (yikes!) for I FINALLY got to see a birth from 10 inches away and participate the way nature intended, I thought I would never have that opportunity! What an amazing and beautiful experience, so awesome you get to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin- I'm so glad you got to be a part of the birth experience with your friend. What a huge blessing!

    ReplyDelete