Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tomato Help Needed Again

Hey all! I just helped our Resident Naturalist post about hornets, so please don't miss it even though I'm posting again so quickly.

I have a tomato quandary. It's supposed to freeze tonight, but I have a LOT of tomatoes that look like this:




What would you do? Would you pick them even though they're not quite ripe, or cover them and hope for the best? I'm going to cover them anyway since there are so many green ones. I'd like to give them a chance. But I would hate to loose these beauties when they're so close to ripe! Can I trust covering with sheets to protect them? By the way, that picture is of one of the bush early girls that froze this spring. You can see what it looked like here. See the third photo in the post. Can you believe that? I'm so glad I decided to try letting them grow!
So, please advise me! I await your wisdom... ;)

10 comments:

  1. I am not the best person to ask--momma pea suggested I wait on mine before I pack them in brown paper bags.I have done this before ,it works but you DO lose a ton of flavor. I let mine go for 1 more day but than I'll be to busy ,so I PICKED THEM AL. I'LL BE GOING TO THE VA THAN JERRY'S BROTHER IS COMING UP FROM KY. SO I WILL BE BUSY AS A BEE.AND SINCE I DON'T HAVE A FREEZER STOCKED OF GOODIES,GOTTA GET STARTED ON THE BANANA BREAD -STAY EXTRA SAFE

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a ways from you, as you know Patty, and our big old county has several mini-climates so I don't know exactly how it will be by you. But we haven't been getting as cold as they've predicted. We had 39 this morning rather than freezing. A sheet will give you protection 'til around 30 but probably not much more than that. Because of better flavor if ripened on the vine, I really try to push mine before plucking the little devils off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd pick 'em! I always was leery of ripening green tomatoes inside but I had to do a few this year due to the blight and the results were better than NO tomatoes LOL! Bonus, yours aren't green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Thanks, ladies. Now, how am I supposed to choose between your advice, Mama Pea and Erin? Couldn't you have gotten together and agreed about this first? ;) Just kidding. I think I'll try to leave them in and cover them tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I was in such a hurry I didn't read the other comments - ooops did I go against the grain?! Shame on me because I always defer to Mama Pea, but yours in the photo really do look close enough LOL!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH,I FORGOT TO SAY MY SISTER -LAW WILL HAVE HER WHITE GLOVES ON---GOD LUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK---[ I'M SO FAR AWAY]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pick them. The are so red already that they will be ripe in a few days. I put mine in a paper bag or cardboard box and close the lid. I wouldn't take the chance of loosing them to a frost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patty - I don't suppose you're up now at 10 p.m. but our temp here is currently 35 degrees and I'm wondering just how low it will go tonight. It's getting kinda iffy about whether to cover or pick those tomaters! I sure don't want to be responsible for you losing them. You know our weather this time of year . . . it could stay 35 all night or take a plunge into the high 20s. Arrrgh.

    Erin, I think it's a really BAAAAD idea to always defer to me. :o} That will get you in BIG trouble, Little Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) This discussion is so funny! I'm STILL up, and going to check the temp right now, then off to bed (unless I have to pick tomatoes). In any case, I appreciate all the great advice, and I don't hold anyone responsible. I've made my own decision. If that means I'm picking tomatoes at midnight, so be it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy- I just read you last comment again, and finally I get it. I'm a little slow sometimes. I hope your prep. for the relatives is going well. It's too bad that some people don't get it that the relationships are the important thing, and just forget the small stuff (like clean houses). :)

    ReplyDelete