Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Season I'm In, and Maybe You Are Too?

I would like to know how many of you ever feel like there's no way you are EVER going to find the bottom of the laundry pile again, or you will NEVER have matching socks in the children's drawers, or how about winter clothing? Anyone else out there planned to get it all washed and put away for the summer, only to find that it's nearly winter again and it's still waiting to get put away? Anyone else sort of feeling that the harder you work the more there is to do? I HOPE so, because I'd like to know that I'm not the only one who is feeling this way. On the other hand, I hope not, since I don't like this feeling and hope none of you deal with it.
So, if you don't, wonderful! I'm genuinely thrilled for you, and so glad there are some of us out there who can plan and execute things so well. You just might be the ones holding the world together! :)
To those of you who are feeling a bit like I am right now, I'm sorry to hear that. But, you know what? There are more of us than you might think, and we're a pretty fantastic bunch of people too. I promise if you invite me over, I won't even look at your laundry pile, and I won't lift the couch cushions either. If I see your children wearing mismatched socks or none at all, I'll assume you've got a life like mine. Very full, and very happy, and a bit chaotic. Maybe you also have many many pints and quarts full of your summers work stocked away in the pantry. Maybe your life's rhythm in the summer is ruled by what the garden or animals are producing, or what summer activities the children are involved with, or both. Perhaps we will all finally get to the bottom of that laundry pile when the garden is sleeping under it's winter's mulch and the jars of summer goodness are being slowly opened and savored.
Life is full of seasons. Sometimes I struggle with fully living in the season I'm in. Sometimes I'm not thankful for the blessings I'm receiving because I'm worried about what's coming next. That too bad, because each season has its treasures and blessings.

8 comments:

  1. How wonderfully said! I'm feeling so overwhelmed right now , trying to get the rest of the garden harvested and get it stored away in the cellar/freezer/pantry. It's just crazy. But, once in awhile, I actually remember to just stop and take a look around at all the beauty of this world. I guess all we can do is just keep plugging away at it, and remember how much we'll appreciate those preserved foods this winter, or how much our families appreciate the clean clothes (even if they DON'T say so!)
    Enjoy the day! I'm back to sorting onions and potatoes and garlic-Oh My!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Patty, you may not have meant it this way but this was a wonderful post describing a loving, caring person, mom and wife (that would be you) trying to do more than humanly possible. It's not the dirty laundry or disorganization or "what IS that sticky stuff on the floor?", but rather the warm, happy home you're creating for your family that is important.

    As Erin talked about in her post this morning, we have to guard against pushing ourselves so much we either plumb wear out or become someone we truly don't want to be.

    Funny thing, I've found that even when it's just the two of you left at home and you're supposedly "retired" you can be in much the same situation. (Maybe not as much laundry!) Those of us with passion and love of life kinda always find more that we want/need to do than is humanly possible. It's a lifelong struggle but we've got to learn how to handle it and, as you say, take time to revel in the beauty around us and count our blessings. Hugs, hugs, hugs and you're welcome in my frazzled home anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make time for hugs and kisses. Who cares about the rest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama Pea- You are just the most encouraging person! Thank you. :)
    Sue- You're right, we will appreciate those wonderful, healthy and convenient items we're putting by. Yummy! It's worth it for sure.
    Hoosier Girl - You are SO RIGHT! I really need to remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with on the don't sweat the small stuff especially when it comes to children. they are my heart and soul . If I hear of one that is hurting ,I hurt, so you can bettca when one one my grand kids would like to be coloring with me than me cooking or cleaning,most likely you will find me on the floor. and the comment about my sister - in -law ,I really don't care, this late in the game but how 2 families can be so different its almost funny when Jerry's brother had there" one" child and when that child became to crawling and playing,his brother was right behind him picking it up. and his wife, it must of taken her her whole married life to pick out the 2 pictures they have hanging in there house,me I can;t even hang a nail straight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit that I'm one of those ones who is "gluing the world together" LOL, even though I know it's a losing battle! That being said, you know where I most love to be? In a friend's house that is loud, messy counters and piles of laundry and toys - I always feel a little pang wishing my home was more like that and that I could let go of things, homes like you describe are the homes that are full of people paying attention to each other, and not the mess in the laundry basket! My friend here always says "you always stop by when the house is chaos"... I always tell her, "I've never seen your house not a glorious mess, and why do you think I'm here? I LOVE it!" Keep on with the way things are Patty, it's the sign of a full life and lots of us neat freaks secretly love homes just like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin, you're awesome! You can stop by any time, girl! You would love it today, I'm sure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Oh, we are not alone?!? Wonderful. You can come to my house anytime now that I know you wont 'look real close'. No point in sweating the small stuff when you might miss the big things! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete