Pages

Every time you feel in God's creatures something pleasing and attractive, do not let your attention be arrested by them alone, but, passing them by, transfer your thought to God and say: "O my God, if Thy creations are so full of beauty, delight and joy, how infinitely more full of beauty, delight and joy art Thou Thyself, Creator of all!
- Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain

You can’t get to joy by making everything perfect. You can only get there by seeing in every imperfection all that’s joy.
-Ann Voscamp

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Tomatoes

I had no idea when I was lamenting over my tomato plants what I would be blessed with come late summer/fall. I've been able to make pasta sauce with my tomatoes with the intent to can it for the first time. I had two lovely quarts of sauce made, and both jars broke in the canner. :( I know what I did wrong though, and next time I won't make that mistake. I didn't have the sauce in the jars hot enough to go into the canner that I'd just taken the beans out of. The water in the canner was too hot for the jars and the bottoms broke off. I didn't catch my mistake until after I'd "canned" the sauce. When I opened the lid, I could nearly have cried.
I've got almost enough for another batch if I stretch it with carrots, yellow summer squash, onions, basil, green pepper and garlic that I grew. In fact, if I wait a couple more days I think I'll have more than two quarts this time. Oh, I can't wait! :)

5 comments:

  1. oh.I'm sorry that happened-better luck next batch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Sorry to hear about that, Patty, I can imagine how disappointed you were, all that work! I hope you get enough for another batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NO!!!! Oh my gosh, my heart sunk for you. Tomatoes, especially up there, are at a premium this year so I can only imagine you really did want to cry! That temp difference is what got me once already this year too. I hope you have enough for another batch! {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  4. It happens to the best of us, Patty. I have had one or two bust and not really sure why. All the temps were good, and the other 6 jars were came out fine. It is sad after all that work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I sure didn't expect so much sympathy. Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete